Interstate 70 - Blanchette Bridge Construction Update
Lane impacts begin October 19. Closure planned Nov. 2.
The Westbound Interstate 70 Blanchette Bridge needs an overhaul. For 50 years, it has carried traffic over the Missouri River, between St. Louis and St. Charles, Mo., at mile marker 230.
During the first weekend of November, the westbound bridge will shut down for demolition and rebuild of most of its structure. The bridge will remain closed until Fall 2013.
During construction, all traffic will share the eastbound bridge, with three, narrow lanes - think 10 to 11 feet wide - running in each direction. A 45 mph speed limit is set for the work zone.
If you have not considered an alternate route, please stop and do so right now.
Commercial motor vehicle drivers are urged to use I-270 and Mo. 370 as an alternate. This adds five miles to the route, but with congestion and a 45 mph work zone speed limit, using Mo. 370 is expected to be a much quicker route.
Eastbound I-70 to Mo. 370 East to I-270 South to I-70 East
Westbound I-70 to I-270 North to Mo. 370 West to I-70 West
Drivers can practice using the alternate route during upcoming weekend projects. Beginning the evening of Friday, Oct. 19 and Friday, Oct 26, two or three lanes will close in each direction so crews can set concrete barriers and make other closure preparations. Late Sunday, Oct 21 and Sunday Oct. 28, the lanes will reopen.
Important Dates - I-70 at Blanchette Bridge - MM 230
- Oct. 19 - half of the lanes the eastbound I-70 bridge close in the evening
- Oct. 21 - lanes reopen on eastbound bridge
- Oct. 26 - half of the lanes on westbound I-70 at Earth City and ramps at Earth City closed
- Oct. 28 - lanes reopen on westbound I-70 and at the Earth City ramps
- Nov. 2 - half of the lanes on both directions close in the evening
- Nov. 4 - All traffic is rerouted to eastbound bridge by this evening and the westbound bridge is closed.
- Nov. 5 - First Monday morning rush hour with reduced I-70 lanes and slow speed limit.
- Mid-Nov/Early Dec - three full closures of I-70 for bridge blasts. Both directions of I-70 closed for up to one hour. (dates/times TBD)
- Fall 2013 - Westbound Blanchette Bridge reopens. Traffic patterns return to normal.
To learn more about the project, visit www.modot.org/blanchettebridge . While at the website, consider signing up for email updates.
P.S. - HazMat carriers are especially urged to use Mo. 370 and avoid the construction area. Small fender-benders are expected to result hour-long delays. A crash involving hazmat above the river could snarl progress for hours. Thank you for considering the alternate route.